You may be familiar with the practice of microneedling – where small, fine needles are used to create micro-injuries in the skin – prompting a healing response and the production of collagen to treat laxity, scarring, discoloration, and uneven skin tone.
As part of the microneedling treatment, a small amount of PRP – platelet-rich plasma – is applied to the skin. This involves using plasma and platelets from your own blood to further stimulate skin rejuvenation and reduce swelling and redness. It’s no wonder this procedure is often referred to as the ‘vampire facial’.
A fairly new treatment, PRP with microneedling has rapidly gained popularity among dermatologists and patients. This study in 2016 showed a marked improvement – 62.20% – in using PRP along with microneedling to improve acne scars.
A board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Ellen Gendler is a leading authority on dermatology, often working with Fortune 500 and pharmaceutical companies to bring new and innovative products to the market. Alongside our cosmetic treatments, Dr. Gendler offers PRP with microneedling at her office in New York City.
What does PRP with microneedling treat?
PRP with microneedling is used to treat a variety of skin conditions and concerns:
- Fine lines
- Acne scars/surgical scars
- Sun damage
- Large pores
At your consultation with Dr. Gendler, she will listen to your concerns and ask about your goals and medical history, and conduct a thorough review of your skin. With this information, she will create a personalized treatment plan for you to help you achieve your dream look – and may suggest PRP with microneedling is an appropriate treatment for you.
How does PRP with microneedling work?
A microneedling device uses 18-20 sterile needles to penetrate .5-2mm into the face, depending on the severity of the area needing treatment. The micro-injuries created to stimulate the production of collagen, tightening and evening the skin to produce a fresh, rejuvenated look.
For the PRP application, a vial of the patient’s blood is taken and placed into a centrifuge, which separates the platelet-rich plasma from the rest of the components of the blood. Why? PRP contains proteins such as growth factors and cytokines, which helps skin tissue repair itself.
Following the microneedling, the PRP is massaged into the skin, where it saturates the skin and promotes further healing and nourishment. Think of PRP with microneedling as a facial on steroids – where you’re using your body’s own healing properties to brighten your skin.
The ideal candidate for PRP with microneedling
If you wish for brighter, youthful skin – PRP with microneedling could be an ideal treatment for you. This treatment is fairly accessible, especially for people with scarring, pigmentation, darker skin, or those who can’t get laser treatment. However, it is important to consult with your doctor before starting any treatment, especially if you have any of the following:
- Active acne or are using isotretinoin
- A skin condition such as eczema, psoriasis, or rosacea
- A platelet or blood disorder
- Have had any major surgery within the last 6 months
- An infection on the face
- A history of scarring or bruising easily
What to expect from a PRP with microneedling treatment
- Before your treatment, you may be asked to avoid skin resurfacing or laser treatments for 5-7 days, as well as any Retin-A or similar treatments for 3-5 days.
- At your appointment in Manhattan, the team will ensure you are calm and comfortable during and after your treatment. A topical anesthetic is applied 20-30 minutes before microneedling, to ease any discomfort. After the microneedling is completed, the PRP is massaged into your face.
- The whole procedure takes approximately 60 minutes, and you will be able to leave the office after receiving advice on the aftercare of your treatment.
- After your treatment, you may have some redness and tenderness, which clears in 4-5 days. Slight swelling is also a possibility, which clears in 1-2 days.
- You will begin to see results after 1-2 days, and as your body continues to produce collagen, you’ll continue to see improvements in the weeks or months following treatment.
Schedule your PRP with microneedling consultation in NYC today
Dr. Gendler will help you achieve your goals with top-of-the-line treatments via your personalized treatment plan, and you can be certain the utmost care is taken with regards to patient safety, health, and wellbeing.
For more information about radio frequency microneedling treatments in New York, contact Gendler Dermatology today at (212) 288-8222 to schedule a consultation.
After PRP with microneedling, results can last for months – depending on the condition and health of your skin. You may need a number of treatments for larger scars or pigmentation areas.
Generally, microneedling is fairly painless, though some people report mild discomfort. A topical anesthetic is applied to help temporarily numb the skin during treatment. The application of PRP is painless, in fact, can be quite pleasant.
After your treatment, it is important to avoid vigorous activities that cause you to sweat for 72 hours, as well as the sun and harsh skin treatments, for approximately a week in order to give your skin time to heal. After 1-2 days, you can use a light concealer or powder to hide redness – and don’t forget sunblock.